Message from Our PresidentGreetings from the Springdale Rotary Club! We are a group of more than 150 community-minded individuals who work together with one goal in mind: "Serve to Change Lives." Our members come from all walks of lives, professions, ages, and educational backgrounds -- whether you are a young professional, a non-profit executive, a public employee, a small business owner, or retired (or anything else), you would fit in with our group!
Springdale Rotary's two areas of focus this year are (1) Education and Literacy and (2) Combating Food Insecurity. To these ends, we actively engage our community with projects and programs designed to address these concerns.
Education and Literacy:
- We support our local educators by participating in the Chamber of Commerce Teachers Breakfast and providing door prizes for the teachers.
- In September 2021, we are distributing 375 pairs of new shoes to Springdale elementary students through a partnership with Samaritan's Feet.
- Our Literacy Project in the spring will result in the donation of three reading-level appropriate books to every single third grader in the Springdale School District.
- We donate nearly 100 books per year to the library at a local elementary school -- our current school partner is Rollins Elementary.
- We award one college scholarship and one workforce training scholarship to Springdale graduates every year.
- Springdale Rotary installed and continues to stock three free food pantries across the city.
- In December, our members will pack 600 bags of groceries and deliver them to two of our local elementary schools to go home with students who will face food insecurity over the Christmas break.
We also have a lot of fun together as Rotarians! We recently volunteered at the Springdale Police Department's National Night Out, and we're currently working on a city-wide scavenger hunt and getting ready for our big annual fundraiser, the Pig Trail Mud Run (a 5K obstacle race). These opportunities to work together, serve together, and give back together are the very heart of the Springdale Rotary Club and the reason so many of our members continue their membership year after year.
I invite you to join us for one of our weekly meetings -- most of our members gather at noon on Mondays for lunch, but we also have a group that meets at 7:30 a.m. on Thursdays for breakfast. Our Monday meetings are at 12:00 PM at the Jones Center for Families, Room 228, 922 E. Emma Avenue in Springdale, Arkansas, 72764. You'll find a friendly, welcoming group of business and community leaders, and I know you'll want to be a part of all the amazing things that are going on in our Club! Feel free to call me at 479-751-5222 or email me at email@example.com for more information about our projects or membership.
Yours in Rotary,
Matt Fryar is a partner with Crouch, Harwell, Fryar & Ferner, PLLC, a law firm in Downtown Springdale. He has been a member of the Springdale Rotary Club for 10 years. His wife, Cori, is a teacher with the Springdale Schools, and his daughters are both Springdale students.
Club 2449 - The Rotary Club of Springdale, Arkansas, USARotary International is the world’s first service club. We are an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. The first club was the Rotary Club of Chicago, Illinois, USA. The club was formed February 23, 1905, by lawyer Paul Harris and three friends. The name “Rotary” was derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among the members’ offices.
The Rotary Club of Springdale, Arkansas, USA (Club 2449), is a member of Rotary International. Members have the option of attending either Monday noon or Thursday morning meetings. Our Club was chartered in 1925 and throughout its history has maintained an impressive commitment to camaraderie among its members and service to the community. The Springdale Rotary Charitable Foundation Trust, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization created by the Club, funds many of our projects.
We would love to have you join us in Doing Good in Springdale and Around the World! Contact us by e-mail to visit a Club meeting and learn more!Share
Our History - Highlights From Earlier YearsEarly in 1925, Cal Callison, a Rogers Rotary Club member, surveyed the Springdale area and determined that the Springdale Rotary Club would be formed. On March 27, 1925, Callison (the "Daddy" of the Springdale Club) met with 18 charter members.
Springdale was originally in International District 15. In 1937, the area was changed to 136; in 1949 to 198; and in 1957 to 611 and is now 6110. It remains the only district in the country that is composed of four states: Northwest Arkansas, Northeast Oklahoma, Southeast Kansas, and Southwest Missouri.
The Springdale Club first met in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church on Spring Street. The Club met later at the Southern Hotel on Holcomb where it stayed until 1936 when it moved back to the same building on Spring Street which in the interim had become City Hall. Meals were served by the women of the First Methodist Church. In December of 1936, the meeting place was again changed to the basement of First Methodist Church.
Left to right, back row: Boyce Vaughn, Howard Ewalt, Walter Watkins, Ralph Brooks, Wade Luckett, Jeff Brown, E.R. (Marty) Stafford, Alex Johnson, John Trice, Lowry Walker, Ulys Lovell; left to right, center row: Glenn Riggs, Rev. H.O. Bolin, Autry Wilson, Timothy Applegate, Ellis Posall, R.T. (Doc) Henry, Howard Clark, E.L. McNally, Louis Lichlyter; left to right, front row: Al Hollingsworth, Harry Hayes, Roger Sanders, Clara (Ewalt) Hough, Carl Watson, all stand in front of Springdale Methodist Church, Springdale, Arkansas, 1937.
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Louis Lichlyter Collection (S-95-36-1)
In th 1927-28 Rotary Year, the Club entertained the high school football team.
In 1928-29, the Rotary Club sponsored the "Four Square Boys Club" of twenty boys, 10-15 years of age.
In the 1930's, the Rotary Club began giving a banquet for senior high students and contineud for many years.
Throuh the years, the Club sponsored a calf club for high school students and an Easter egg hunt for the children.
In 1930, wiht the assistance of the Chamber of Commerce, opened a swimming pool with a capacity of 125.
In 1933, when the high school was forced to charge tuition, the Rotary Club paid the tuition for 15 students.
In 1934, the Club sponsored the first Boy Scout troop.
Springdale Rotary Club softball team, 1936. Left to right, back row: E.L. McNally, Autry Wilson, Glenn Riggs, Wade Luckett; left to right, center row: Gene Shaw, Marty Stafford, Ellis Poisall, Lowry Walker, Ralph Brooks, Walter Watkins, John Trice; left to right, front row: Boyce Vaughn, Harry Hayes, Gary Nelson, Roger Sanders, Carl Watson, R.T. Henry, Louis Lichlyter
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Louis H. Lichlyter Collection (S-95-63-2)
Five Hundred dollars was raised for the USO.
In 1949, $1,575 was pledged to buy uniforms for the high school band.
The Club was supportive of the farming community by honoring a farmer at an annual banquet each year, sponsored a farm implement contest with a first prize of $500, second prize of $250, and third price of $125 to the farmers showing the greatest overall improvement in their farming operation.
Left to right: Ulys A. Lovell, Harold Whitridge, Edith Whitridge and Luther E. Johnson present for Farmer of the Year Award by Rotary International, 1950s.
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Springdale Chamber of Commerce Collection (S-77-9-296)
Springdale Rotary Club, composite, Springdale, Arkansas, 1952.
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Archie Knight Collection (S-92-92-41)
Rotary birthday party, Springdale, Arkansas, 1954, Howard Clark (photographer).
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Caroline Price Clark Collection (S-2002-72-2130)
In 1956, chairs and umbrellas were furnished for Murphy Park.
Rotarians have always been active in the Rodeo of the Ozarks.
Rotary club presentation at plane, woman in front may be Eileen Sanders, Springdale, Arkansas, July 1958, Howard Clark (photographer).
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Caroline Price Clark Collection (S-2002-72-441)
In 1959, the Club gave $100 to the athletic department of the local schools for a trampoline and began giving scholarships to outstanding seniors.
Five Hundred dollars was given for the local press box at the high school athletic field.
In 1962, a flag pole was erectd at the Youth Center in Murphy Park.
The Club supported community organizations such as the Red Cross, Heart Fund, Cancer Fund, and the Bookmobile.
The Club supports Rotary International and over the years has supported numerous international students.
Fifth from left: Walter Watkins, 6th from left: Jimmy Driftwood, Dr. Stanley Applegate in foreground, at Rotary luncheon, 1970s.
Credit: Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Springdale Chamber of Commerce Collection (S-77-9-36)